Thursday, December 14, 2006

some crap

After racking my brains a lot I had decided that for once I would attend the extra VLSI classes that were being held in our college. My first station was the hostel where I joined with a couple of my friends ‘R’ and ‘H’ (will refer my friends with the first letters of their names rather than first names in order to be ,well, “different”).’A’ was to join us later. It is quite unusual for a person like me to attend extra classes as I never attend the regular classes itself properly. But the problem is that next year I am writing an exam called GRE and it is necessary that I learn something additional to the regular courses(as if I study the regular subjects properly and maintain a good academic record).

We started off towards our department and I was saying to R that I would surely be out of place if a bunch of “pazhams” alias students with a gargantuan appetite for marks were also present there and how right I was . On entering the lab I found the quintessence of a pazham standing near the table and a whole dozen (not bunch) sitting with their eyes glued to the monitors. It turned out that he (person near the table) was our senior and was the one to take the classes. “Oh god help us out!” I cried within myself coz I had seen this guy before when he came to give us some tips on campus interview. He is a very helpful guy, mind you, has got lots of concern for his juniors, and has got a job in IBM which is a dream for many of the students, excluding me, in our stream. But the problem is that he and many of the other students are MIT (that’s our college name) chauvinists. For heavens sake guys our MIT doesn’t stand for Massachusetts Institute of technology you all know what it stands for. Now, back to the lab. I took a seat and started staring into the monitor screen. It seems that we had to work with some software called “Verilog”.

“Oh no not programming again.” I said to myself. I hate programming I don’t know why .You might think that then why the hell this fellow took electronics, which is centered on programming, but there it is. During my course selection period, there was a huge electronic wave and all students were shouting “Hail electronics!” and I unfortunately
was one of them Ok past is past and now back to the present.

R and H started working and I was a mute spectator. A strange feeling inside me said that “Enough is enough and get the fuck out of this college during the lunch break” to which I replied “Shut up! It’s only been 10 minutes since I came here” to which it backfired that “those 10 minutes are a hell lot of time”. The battle went on for sometime ending with my emotions emerging as the winner. So it was decided that I get out during lunch.

A made his entry into the lab. “The lazy ass. See at what time he’s coming” I retorted as it was already half an hour late. A is one of the few guys to whom I confide my worries. He is on the same lines as I am (I hope so) but miles ahead of me in academics. I told him my plans and all he did was smother a smile. He knew me well enough. A few days later another one of my friends told me that he was dead sure that I would attend only one class. Anyways, the senior called us to explain something. Some goof made a stupid gesture I didn’t notice and the room started to burst with laughter. He started to tell some jargon laden stuff and the urge to make an exit grew stronger every minute. It was already 11-00 by now and the remaining one hour was spent “usefully” by chatting with A and thinking about my stinking engineering life and about my future.

On my way back, a train of thoughts ran through my mind:
“Have two years been useful?”
“Will the remaining two years be useful?”
“What have I learnt and what will I learn?”
“Where the hell would I land up after finishing college?”
“Wherever I land up, will it have any value for my engineering life?”

Sometimes I feel when these 4 years of engineering would be over. At such times I get relief through the words of one of my friends “Mr.C.” During the beginning of 5th semester he said “Two fucking years are over and we have to keep our mouth shut and spend the remaining two years” and now I am glad that it has reduced to one and a half years.

1 Comments:

Blogger kumar raja said...

superb piece..echoes my feelings..you have raised some brilliant qustions without knowing so..

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home