Wednesday, February 21, 2007

some crap part 3

RATING: Left to the discretion of reader.

Wednesday, 9:00 am, MIT, Chennai. No No guys, this is not a script for a gautham menon movie, rather it is a part of my weekday routine. I had already paid the price for expecting too much from a gautham movie .Why is saying all this is that we saw his latest venture PKMC and it has proved to be a highly below average film. Ok I don’t want to be digressive and so let’s get back to where we started.

The first hour starts at 8:30 and there was no hope of making it to the class. You see me going late to class, be it college or GRE, is a normal affair. It would be highly inappropriate if I go early to class and even most of my friends would agree to this. As soon as I set foot inside the campus, the security guard, possibly for the very first time in his entire career, said the words “SMART CARD!” I just drew a blank expression as I was dead sure that I hadn’t brought it. He repeated the two words and it ringed wildly through my ears. I just checked my bag to see if I had brought it by chance and there it was lying innocently at the side of my record. I hastily showed it to him and proceeded towards the class. First of all I will tell you what the “smart card” is. It’s just our college id and there s nothing very smart about it. All you can do is borrow books from the library or buy chocolates, snacks, notebooks and all other crap from a dingy cooperative store in the campus.

What was highly surprising was that our college was suddenly abuzz with heavy activity. There were lots of staff members moving here and there as if the Herculean task of managing the whole world had fallen onto their shoulders. Security was beefed up and I even saw two or three persons moving around with video cameras. One striking feature was that the two huge models of airplanes that stood before the aeronautical dept and that had been abandoned for years possibly decades sported a new and refreshed look. We are having an international conference tomorrow in our college and the honorable President Dr. Abdul Kalama is to preside over the function as the chief guest and this was the chief reason for all the dynamism. There were still 10 minutes for the second hour to start and I went to the canteen to have some coffee. There I spotted “Jodi no 1” DE and CS (Everyone in my class are familiar with these terms) happily chatting. I finished my coffee thinking about this and that and marched off towards the lab. My partner Safeer was absent and I joined Srinath and his team for the next experiment.

Our lab in charge made a swift entry into the lab. It seems that she had divided the whole class into several batches of volunteers and each batch was to be placed under a particular staff. I kept my fingers crossed and hoped it wouldn’t be a psycho for me. But my level of good luck had run down with the ID card matter and all I heard in the end was “Mohan Mukundh to see SP Joy”

“Oh Fuck!” were the only two words that vibrated through my mind at the sound of that deadly name. Here was a female with a name in complete contradiction to the atmosphere she creates inside in the class especially during lab sessions. She taught for three consecutive semesters and was ok with the first two seems. In fact in the 5th sem even she was fine with microprocessors theory class but she made the lab class a living hell and I cannot go into all that. She is famous among us that there is a group named as “Joy no joy” in orkut. I later learned that joy was too taken care of the food department. I felt bloody irritated. I assumed that students taking part in the conference didn’t have to be volunteers which ultimately were not to be. I grew highly elated at not being placed under the staff that had to take care of the toilet dept. I really feel sorry for the staff and students (my good chum Kumar is one of them) who fall under this category. It is always better to serve food than to tell people where to get disposed of the served and eaten food.

Anyway I wish the whole of the college, especially the ECE department, the very best in making this conference a huge success.

2 Comments:

Blogger anand said...

the college had been impounded by alien forces.... is this mit?

clearly shows that our president abdul kalam sees a different world altogether.. hope not abdul kalam.

6:49 AM  
Blogger kumar raja said...

superb!

truly global.

nothing more to say.

:-)

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home