Thursday, June 19, 2008

A tiring day

Whoa! It’s been a real tough day. Never had I done so much driving in a single day. Not that I’m fed up of driving, it’s one of the activities I deeply adore but it transforms into a living hell when are you are caught up in heavy traffic while doing it and it’s very rare that I get caught in it more than once. But today was something exceptional and I was a victim to heavy traffic as much as 4 times in different parts of the city.

The journey started at around 2 pm when I left home for college to get some no due sign from our staff. Our psychotic dept had decided to torture us for the last tome in their life with these no dues, signatures and such crap and I must say they are really successful in it. Anyway none of the staff were present today and my trip to the college turned futile (as usual). I spotted only our FA (Faculty Advisor, but I have a better expansion for it. Contact me if you wanna know) but decided it wise not to meet her. A couple of days earlier, I approached her for the same no due work and she bluffed about one of the three laptops (were there really three? I seriously thought there was only one!!!) Getting lost and we students were responsible for it. Let me inform you ma’m that the last thing a sane, I again quote “sane” student would do, is to steal something from the dept (I really can’t see anything worth stealing in the dept anyway) and that too a laptop. It is a well known fact through out MIT and possibly chromepet( if you had a chopper view of chromepet, the college along with the railway station seemed to cover the entire area with houses and shops sprinkled here and there) that the systems in the elex dept contains more viruses than useful information. So anyone in his senses would never even dream of purloining a laptop brimming with viruses.

I met up with Kumar and we left to sathyam cinemas to see Indiana Jones part-4. We had a nice chat along the way. We discussed about Dasavatharam music, some college gossip (This is one bad habit I would like to avoid) and about directorial skills of Selvaraghavan, Gowtham, M.Night Shyamalan and Spielberg. The movie was an exciting ride from start to finish. The only other Spielberg film I saw in theatres was “war of the worlds” and it was total crap. He lived up to my expectations this time and I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

After the film I and Kumar headed to Burma bazaar. I had to exchange a wrongly given DVD the other day with the film I needed and Kumar was to catch the train to chromepet at beach. On the way there was heavy traffic at triplicane, not caused by vehicles, but by pedestrians. The roads there are narrow and these people simply crowd along the roads turning a nelson’s eye to the vehicles. On a particular junction I had to tae a left but a biker was blocking my way. I honked as hard as possible but he didn’t seem to respond. Only when the auto-driver behind me bestowed him with the title of “son of a buffalo” did he move. After asking for directions we reached Burma bazaar at around 6-45. While we were searching for the shop, we were accosted by a shop keeper who was bent on persuading us to buy something. The modus operandi employed by these persons is simply amazing

He approaches us as if he is the noblest person in the entire universe.
The guy- “Hello?" Do u like any DVDs?”
Me-“No we actually came to return a DVD”
Him-“Can I have a look at it?”
ME- “No we are in a hurry; we just have to exchange it”
Kumar-“Yes, we already called up that guy to tell that we want to exchange this with the film we needed”

But the guy was adamant and he jus took the DVD I was loosely holding, opened it and examined it (as if he was the genius who invented these things and could spot a flaw just by seeing it). This act of his deeply incensed me.

Me (a bit angrily)-“jus give us the DVD, we are here jus to return it and get the money back if the film we ask for isn there”
Him (acting as if he was smart) - “Sir, even if you want to lie, try to tell a lie that is believable”

Me-“Ok ok”

Later to Kumar- “Yeah, as if the govt is gonna award me for lying to a jerk off like him”

The guy’s ulterior motive was to make a few bucks out of us so that he could have booze or even more probably to get laid with a prostitute. But I made it a point not to buy anything from him and I didn’t. In the end, we reached the shop and exchanged the DVD. But fate had some other thing in store with which I will mention at the end of this blog.
On my way back home, I was caught in heavy traffic in RK Salai, Kodambakkam Bridge and Valluvarkottam junction. Only when you want to reach home early and take a rest, do these things happen. In RK salai, the traffic is generally smooth, but it seems there was a wedding reception at a marriage hall located near the main road and this had disrupted the flow of traffic. While passing I spotted policemen and traffic personnel. Seems some bigshot in the city was getting married or getting his son or daughter or even his wife married.
Reaching home, I fell with a heavy thud on the bed. Having rest for a few minutes, I had dinner and checked the DVD. And Guess what happened? The guy had given me the wrong DVD again. Along with the DVD he gave me his visiting card as if he was of Ambani mould. But it came in handy as I called him up and gave him a good blasting( And you very well know how good I am when it comes to blasting). He told he would call again but didn’t and I too by that time had become too tired to do anything.

So with a huge hope that the next day wouldn’t be as bad as this one, I shut my eyes and fell asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home